Wednesday, May 03, 2006

My So-Called Down Time

Yesterday I deliberately took it easy because I have incoming VC packets, starting today. I did some shopping at BookPeople for some of the kids in my life. What I bought:

for JR: Piggies by Audrey and Don Wood (Red Wagon, 2000); Is Your Mama a Llama? by Deborah Guarino, illustrated by Steven Kellogg (Scholastic, 1997); Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann (Putnam, 1996); and The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (Philomel, 1981).

for RC: Boston Jane: An Adventure by Jennifer L. Holm (Harper Trophy, 2002); Dancing in the Streets of Brooklyn by April Lurie (Delacorte, 2002)(author interview); Playing in Traffic by Gail Giles (Roaring Brook, 2004)(author interview); and Dead Girls Don't Write Letters by Gail Giles (author interview).

for MC: Wizards of the Game by David Lubar (Philomel, 2003)(author interview)(excerpt); When Zachary Beaver Came to Town by Kimberly Willis Holt (Yearling, 2001)(author interview); The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (Hyperion, 2005)(author interview); and Ninjas, Piranhas, and Galileo by Greg Leitich Smith (author interview).

I also bought The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Penguin, 2001) on the recommendation of a bookseller and a thank you card for GG.

Then it was onto the Whole Foods corporate headquarters at 6th and Lamar, where the prickly pear cacti are in gorgeous, huge yellow bloom on the roof and where I had salmon and avocato brown-rice sushi with water for lunch.

After that, I zoomed over to Emerald's to pick up Mother's Day cards, came home and ordered an arrangment for grandma from 1800flowers.com.

Then I worked out and did email carnage.

GLS and I had dinner at Hyde Park Bar & Grill (lentil soup, followed by a turkey burger on whole wheat). Much afterward I indulged in the very rare wicked munchie Kraft Mac & Cheese. Quite the delicacy.