Friday, July 29, 2005

Haunted House by Jan Pienkowski

Haunted House by Jan Pienkowski (Candlewick, 2005). A first-rate spooky (but not too scary) pop-up book. As young readers approach the door, a note beckons, "let yourself in." A voice calls out to the entering doctor in the foyer, and a disembodied listing of symptoms and observations follow. Appetite is down. Not many visitors. Not sleeping well. And the patient is... Yikes! A remake of the classic 1979 book. Ages 4-up. Highly recommended, especially for Halloween, with the caveat that some care should be taken with handling the book; perhaps best kept in adult hands while younger fans see and listen.

Spooky News & Links

Yesterday, my doc informed me that my laryngitis and sore throat will go away if I can only manage to be quiet for the next few days. (This, for me, is roughly akin to torture.) He also gave me something to soothe my post-flight cranky eardrum. I'm going to take refuge in bed and read.

Thanks to LHA for commenting on spookycyn's LJ syndication.

TLS writes about the VC MFA special weekend on short stories and SA writes about the residency more globally (note her reference to me as "goddess;" I must say, it takes one to know one).