Monday, July 03, 2006

The Blanton Museum of Art

This weekend, GLS and I visited the new Blanton Museum of Art at The University of Texas for the first time.

The main attraction is the Latin American collection, the largest and most comprehensive in the United States. According to the brochure, "More than 600 artists from Mexico, South and Central America, and the Caribbean are represented in the collection, which features over 1,800 works and reflects the enormous diversity of artistic traditions in the region."

I also enjoyed the American and European paintings. I loved the bright colors, swirls, and geometric quality of the contemporary exhibits as well as the 3-D (except "blue woman in a black chair," which I'm still convinced is a real, frozen person--eek!). Much of the experimental/apocalypse stuff baffled me. I don't know if I'm not sophisticated enough or just too much of an optimist.

On the writing front, I took the printout of F&M from my office to my night stand night before last to verify that it had some merit and I wasn't wrong to have dropped it into the FedEx box last week. I flipped it open to a page with three sentences in a row with the exact same construction. They looked annoying. Bah, I thought, and went to sleep. Yesterday, my amazing agent had read it--on the holiday weekend--and responded via email with much praise. There was even a smiley face involved--hooray! Whew.

In other news, my alpha feline Mercury (a nineteen-pound gray tabby and native Chicagoan) has been contacted by an author interested in featuring him in her upcoming cat book. He was quite honored. Consequently, I decided that he needed a new head shot and subjected him to an hour-long photo shoot. He loved the attention more than the flash. More on that to come!