Tuesday, February 05, 2008

When I'm Not Writing...

I caught myself saying that I didn't work this weekend and did a double-take at what "not working" means to me. On a weekend that I "didn't work," I answered questions for a fairly extensive author interview, did about six hours of online correspondence, cross-posted four blog entries to three of my blogs, pre-formatted three more entries, packaged up a couple of books for giveaways, autographed and packaged up three sets of bookmarks (also giveaways), and spent about six hours pouring through line edits on Eternal. GLS and I also met to go over the status of our revision for a short story to appear in an anthology from CC and HB.

But I didn't just work! GLS and I also took a field trip to...

in Bastrop. It's off Highway 71. Totally do-able as a short trip from Austin or if you're already on 71. Ten life-sized dinosaur statues (painted) are perched along a nature trail. "These statues range in size from the 6-foot long Velociraptor to the 40-foot long T-Rex." The plan is to add more steadily over time. Other highlights include a playground, fossil dig, picnic area, and gift store. Weather permitting, I recommend taking your kids or inner kid to check it out.

As long as we were in the neighborhood, we decided to have lunch afterward and take a peek at the relatively new Hyatt Lost Pines Resort. It's a ranch-style (horses!), destination hotel with a spa, shopping, and several restaurants, including Stories Fine Dining Establishment, which celebrates the literary history of Bastrop.

We went to the Firewheel Cafe, which has gorgeous stained-glass windows of Texas wildflowers, and split both the Shrimp and Green Chili Quesadilla (Chipolte aoili and roasted tomato salsa) and a Cedar Creek Wrap (smoked turkey breast, crisp bacon, black forest ham, smoked cheddar, herb spread, and kettle chips).

We were impressed by the resort and plan to return for a weekend getaway as soon as we get a chance.

The hands-down highlight of the weekend though was dinner at GB and MH's lovely home in near East Austin. D&JG also were guests. The menu:

Nibbles

-black pepper almonds

Starter

-salad with green olive dressing

Main Course

-bacon wrapped pork loin with rosemary

-roasted cauliflower and leeks

-black truffle mac 'n cheese

Dessert

-brown sugar ice cream with spiced walnuts