Friday, November 07, 2008

Spooky News

Behind the Pages of Shadowed Summer: RC & Moonpies from Saundra Mitchell. Note: I'm hooked on these teasers, already charmed by the Southern setting, and impressed with Saundra's marketing savvy and this fresh idea.

Digital Shadows 2: RC & Moonpies


Authors on the Verge: Meet Saundra Mitchell, young adult novelist from Writing for Children & Teens by Cynthia Liu. Peek: "I submitted it to the Delacorte Press prize, then miraculously got an agent while I was waiting to hear. I didn't win the prize (I didn't even place), so my agent and I revised. And revised. And revised, until my 75,000 word book had become a 45,000 word book."

There's a New Gang in Town: Austin's Delacorte Dames and Dudes by Edward Nawotka of Children's Bookshelf from Publishers Weekly. Peek: "DDD—no, it's not a heavy-duty new battery. It's the acronym for an informal group of Austin, Tex., writers all published by Delacorte Press." Note: actually, it's just the one dude, but color me a mega fan! Click the link if only to check out the super cute picture. Go Austin! Read Cynsations interviews with Shana Burg, Varian Johnson, April Lurie, Margo Rabb, and Jennifer Ziegler.

5 Minutes with [Debut Author] P. J. Hoover from Saundra Mitchell: Making Things Up for a Living. Peek: "People are still people, whether they're embalming the dead or designing chips." See also a Cynsations interview with P. J.

Attention Minions of Heather Brewer: she's now offering a new forum.

The Allure of Innocence from Musings of YA Author Dawn Metcalf. Peek: "...this underlines a yearning to explore a perhaps 'outdated' (or 'vintage' as it may be returning) notion of the more 'experienced' female MC and a more 'innocent' love-interest."

Congratulations to author Kimberly Griffiths Little on her three-book deal with Scholastic!
Author Interview: Richelle Mead from Liz Gallagher at Through the Tollbooth. Peek: "I've actually found that as far as voice and intelligence, there's very little difference between teens and adults in my writing. I know some authors 'talk down' to their teen readers in YA, and after being a teacher, I found there's no need for that."
Enter to Win Book Giveaways from TeensReadToo.com.

Cover Stories: Skinned by Robin Wasserman from Melissa Walker. Peek: "I did send along a selection of cool cyborg images that I found online. I thought this might help them find a way to depict the fact that Lia (the main character) is both human and machine."

Thoughts on Process from A. M. Jenkins. Peek: "For me, every book has an ideal form, and my job as a writer is to strive toward that ideal, to feel out the possibilities with an open mind, and to figure out what the book needs and wants to be." Read a Cynsations interview with A. M.

Western Heights High School Book Club (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma) seeks donations for fund-raising raffle. See more information.

Check out this book trailer for The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (Random House); see excerpt.



Tantalizing News

I'm honored to announce that Editions Intervista has bought the rights to Tantalize in France! I'll keep you posted on details as they arise. Note: I studied law abroad in Paris in 1991 and returned with my husband on vacation in 1999--amazing, fantastic, wonderful country!

Due to a technical difficulty, my discussion of Tantalize (Candlewick, 2007, 2008) and related forthcoming books on the teen grid of Teen Second at Second Life has been rescheduled for for 3 p.m. Nov. 18. See more information.

More Personally

Thank you to readergirlz for hosting my Thursday night chat! readergirlz may now be found at: www.readergirlz.com; www.myspace.com/readergirlz;
http://groups.myspace.com/readergirlz; www.youtube/readergirlz; http://readergirlz.blogspot.com; and facebook.

And check out this Interview with Cynthia Leitich Smith from writesalot's blog. Peek: "Don't want to be an author. Want to be a writer. Want to be a writer so much that when you finally become an author, your responsibilities as such—however enjoyable—vex you because they're getting in the way of your writing time. "

Word has zipped around the kidlit community to the point that I want to reassure everyone that my fractured right foot is much better. It's mostly able to bear weight, I can get it into my Teva sandals, and I have every intention of enjoying the San Antonio Riverwalk at NCTE/ALAN (though it may take me a little longer on the stairs). As a result of the need to elevate, though, I've been mostly off-line. Please forgive any email delays, and just say NO! to cute shoes.

On a more fun subject, everyone has their geekdoms. My forever one is this:



Source: Karen Mahoney.

My Events

The Austin chapter of the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators will be hosting its annual holiday party from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Nov. 13 at BookPeople (6th and Lamar) in Austin. The event will include: panels on writing picture books, on writing middle grade novels, on writing YA novels; author signings; and door prizes! Highlights include a school-visit giveaway featuring debut author P. J. Hoover (interview) and Philip Yates dressed as a pirate!

"Connections and Craft: Writing for Children and Young Adults:" hosted by Brazos Valley (Texas) SCBWI Nov. 15 at A & M United Methodist Church in College Station, Texas. "Editor Joy Neaves, agent Emily Van Beek, editor Kim T. Griswell of Highlights, and author Cynthia Leitich Smith comprise our faculty for this day-long event. Published BV-SCBWI authors will also conduct a hands-on Writers' Workshop." Download the brochure. Read a Cynsations interview with Emily.

Assembly on Literature for Adolescents of NCTE (ALAN) Workshop in San Antonio Nov. 24 to Nov. 25. An event I utterly adore for the depth of discussions, sophistication and dedication of the attendees-leadership, and wonderful company of fellow YA authors. Note: NCTE stands for "National Council of Teachers of English," which has a preceding conference. Details on my signing and speaking schedule to come.