Sunday, December 17, 2006

Fredericksburg

Yesterday, GLS and I road-tripped to Fredericksburg, Texas; a historically German-American small town with a healthy downtown shopping and dining district. Highlights include the Marktplatz and National Museum of the Pacific War, which we've yet to visit and is currently under rennovation.

It was a perfect winter day in the Hill Country--sunny, 70-something degrees with a light wind, and the town wasn't nearly as crowded as we'd expected. I especially enjoyed the country western singers/guitar players and accordian players. Though I still have gifts to buy, we didn't find anything there. But I did enjoy my lunch, a Greek salad, at the Silver Creek Beer Gardens and Grille. That said, it's more of a fudge, bratwurst, beer, and schnitzel town.

Research topics: Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago; Tsavo lions; Sea World, San Antonio.