Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy New Year

"What is a vampire's favorite food?"
"Nectarines!"
--joke inside my "popper" at Christmas dinner

Many blessings to you and yours in 2008! Ah, this is not at all spooky season, yet I adore it. I'm feeling especially retrospective as my birthday was on New Year's Eve, and it was a landmark birthday at that.

Beyond that, our tree shimmers and a wreath hangs on our front door. We'll keep it up until after Twelfth Night.

Toward the end of my busiest travel-writing-teaching year ever, I've had just a few opportunities to get together with pals. GLS and I dined with GB & M at Gumbo's, with FH and BY at Chez Nous, and AB joined us for Christmas dinner. We lunched with LL at Green Pastures and JZ at Hyde Park Bar & Grill. We also enjoyed a happy hour at HH's downtown condo with FH, BY, and VJ.

At home, GLS has been having great fun with the Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. He served ham and his famous shrimp potato salad for Christmas Eve dinner, followed by bacon-fried rice on Christmas day. For my birthday, the menu was steamed lobster tails and claws, broccoli with mushrooms, and mushroom rice pilaf.

Spooky Link

Ghost Photographs from the Ghost Research Society. Source: author Suzanne Harper.

Not-So-Spooky Link

Leaving Santa behind: A child's belief in St. Nick is an essential ecstasy. So is the moment the truth comes by Kerry Madden from The L.A. Times. Read a Cynsations interview with Kerry.