Friday, September 24, 2004

Bat By Bat

Am I freaking out?

No, I'm sure it was just an accident that I accidentally knocked my tea glass into the granite counter, causing it to burst into a thousand fairly invisible shards all over the sink, kitchen tile, and breakfast room hardwoods.

I'm also pretty sure that even though I got up early to start working, it was really necessary for me to watch a romantic comedy ("Chasing Liberty") on DVD and talk to my mother and whatever else I managed to do until about 2 p.m.

But then I remembered that I'd already broken the whole thing into a to-do list and just started in on cutting. Shifting voice, trimming exposition, simplifying fantasy element.

That's enough to get me into it, and I can already see where additions need to go.

What I'm most worried about is adding more police scenes because of the need for the background in Crim Pro. What is the one standard 1L class that Michigan doesn't require?

You guessed it. And I didn't take it as an elective either.

I'm asking friends for recommendations, and Page has already come through with a handful of names--any of whom I'm sure would know the basics in Texas.

But big picture I'm back in. Really working with the manuscript, taking it bat by bat.

As a sidenote, Trick-Or-Treat for Unicef has expanded it's Halloween night fundraiser to a month-long national education program, raising the awareness of children about their world and how to make it better.