Monday, September 20, 2004

Editorial Letter

Eeeek! Did I say I was eager for my editorial letter? Yes, I did.

Here it is, this afternoon, via email, four pages, single spaced.

She tells me, among other things, not to repeat myself. Again and again and--wait!

She repeats herself, too.

Hm. She's right. It isn't necessary.

What else? Terrifying use of bold face. Bold face has never seemed so intimidating.

Okay, it's not that bad. Or bad at all. A number of the suggestions are already clicking, inspiring new imaginings. New scenes. More clarity. Ripping away all those self-protective layers. Wicked smart editor. Very helpful. Kind of personally unsettling, though, even as it's professionally empowering.

I'm supposed to show more vulnerability on the death of the parents.

My own dad died just this past month and on a date that already was set up in the novel as significant.

If anything, I may have too much vulnerability to tap into.