Monday, May 23, 2005

"Desperate Housewives" First Season Finale

Am I the only person who's noticed that Susan on "Desperate Housewives" never hardly illustrates any children's books although that is allegedly her job?

It's starting to bug me, like the writers decided it was so much of a non-job that you could call it "a housewife" in conventional terms. No deadlines, no conferences, no signings, no editorial correspondence, no list serv, no blog, no actual illustrating. Okay, maybe one scene where she was doodling a bit before jumping to peer out her window (again).

That said, I like show for its murder mystery and "Melrose Place"-in-the-suburbs/guilty pleasure feel. I first watched it because I liked Teri Hatcher as Lois in "Lois & Clark" and Marcia Clark as Dr. Kimberly Shaw Mancini in "Melrose Place." (Doug Savant is another Melrose/DH actor).

In addition, my all-time favorite actress, Harriet Sansom Harris (originally from Fort Worth), is now on DH. I first noticed her playing freaky Dr. Sally Kendrick (and "sisters") on "The X-Files" ("Eve," 1993) and then in a reoccuring role as Fraiser's agent, Bebe Glazer, and most recently in season 2 of "Six Feet Under." Though I've seen her of course in other great parts, too, these are stand outs.

Another random thought: have you ever noticed how most of the really talented actors--character actors--are seldom in mainstream film/movie lead roles or, for that matter, on the cover of celebrity magazines at the checkout stands?