Thursday, May 26, 2005

Star Wars: The War Within

First off, I should probably 'fess up that I was one of those kids who saw "Star Wars," now called "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope" more than 300 times* with paid admission (some at the dollar movie at Metcalf South in Overland Park, Kansas, but still...).

I was likewise attentive to the other two movies in what then was a trilogy and agree with the majority who thought "Empire" was the best and that the Ewoks (though cute) in "Return" were a miscalculation (and the Wookie planet (Kashyyyk) would've been way more cool than Endor). I even own every issue of the original SW comic book series and listened to the wonderful radio production when it first aired.

Just establishing my credentials here.

So, I did stand in line for tickets on opening day to see "Phantom Menance," which I saw only that once. It wasn't that I didn't appreciate the opportunity to return to Lucasverse. But the pacing, which for whatever tech flaws had been brill in the first round, went flat. And I found the plot premise and characterization of young Anakin sketchy at best. Not bad for a draft, but as the final film... Eh.

I skipped "Attack of the Clones," even though it caused quite a neighborhood stir when Padmé Amidala showed up to shop at BookPeople. Didn't see it on DVD either, though G has been hinting that he wants to.

However, the will of the people (including my best friend, whose opinion on such things I trust and who claims it makes the second trilogy more resonate) seems to indicate that "Revenge" is well worth seeing (except of course for The Chronicle reviewer, but they never like anything). It's a big investment, though, because I'd have to see the predecessor, too--now, while I'm snowed under reading manuscripts for my workshop--because of course it has to be a big-screen experience.

What to do?

Opinions welcome. ...I really do want to see the Wookie planet.

Additional thoughts on the classics: (1) The scenes spliced back into the first-filmed trilogy are vexing because (a) having Han Solo not shoot Greedo first in the Cantina diminishes the growth displayed in his character arc (b) revealing Jabba in the first movie takes away the grandeur and importance of his reveal in the third; (2) As I have mentioned before, Carrie Fisher's Leia did wonders for my social life; (3) I absolutely refuse to discuss "The Holiday Special."

P.S. Did you know that the voices of Greedo and Jabba were both provided by the same actor?

*My inner adolescent is half tempted to justify such a commitment to a sci fi movie with some comment about how there wasn't a lot else to do in suburban Kansas at the time or some such, but the truth is that I just totally loved how the film made me feel.

Spooky Links

If you're likewise a sci fi affectionado, I highly recommend the film "Galaxy Quest," a well-written comedic riff on "Star Trek" (site requires Flash) and the magnificient new YA, Boy Proof by Cecil Castellucci (Candlewick, 2005).