Wednesday, May 24, 2006

With Apologies to Wilbur

Probably the biggest news is that I've agreed (after much negotiation) to eat pork tenderloin for dinner tonight. I'd given up mammals after reading GLS' Tofu and T. rex (Little Brown, 2005)(author interview) in manuscript for the billionth time in 2004.

One of the point of view characters is Freddie Murchison-Kowalski, a die-hard vegan. Though I've spent most of my life along the cattle trail (Chicago, KC, Oklahoma, Texas), much to the horror of my carnivore husband, Freddie really got to me. I haven't eaten a mammal since. Not that she'd approve of my carnage to fish and fowl, but nevertheless, one can't dismiss such a literary impact lightly.

GLS, whose fault this is, has dutifully cooked us non-mammal dinners for some time, but he began begging recently for at least a tad more variety... I'll let you know how it goes.

Quiet catch-up day otherwise. The highlight was lunch with DD, a VC graduate and former Austin SCBWI RA.

I look forward to the three-day weekend. I'll spend some of it grading and working on my summer lecture, but of course I've already bought my tickets for "X-Men: The Last Stand" at Alamo Drafthouse on South Lamar. I'm also considering seeing "Thank You for Smoking" as I enjoyed the book by Christopher Buckley.

Spooky News & Links

Thanks to Spookycyn LJ syndication subscribers Debbi of One Writer's Journey: The Bumpy Road (for her cheers about my forthcoming releases) and Beverly Jean of Never Too Old: Mema Beverly Stowe McClure Becomes a Writer (for the shout-out on my upcoming Santa Knows (Dutton, 2006)).