Monday, May 15, 2006

Gruene River

Lovely weekend! FH joined me for lunch (bleu salads) at the South Congress Cafe Friday and then we shopped afterward at Uncommon Objects, just down the street. Then it was off to the UT Club with GLS and AB for shrimp and cheese. On Satuday, GLS and I escape to the nearby German-antiquing-honky tonk town of Gruene, brunched at the Gruene River Grill, and then stopped for a snack (won ton soup and the rare fried crab won tons) at Suzi's on North Lamar back in Austin. Yesterday was quiet. I worked out, formatted up a few interviews, and corresponded a bit with my web designer. This is my version of taking the weekend off. I may not sound like "off," but I assure you, it's an improvement.

This morning I'm rewriting a couple of long-sitting Native American picture book manuscripts as early readers. I've actually been tweaking for a few days, but now I'm armed with critique comments. Not many--a couple of suggestions to make the protagonist and/or language more active and to move one scene. The stories seem to work better this way. They're both highly illustrable, but not the sort of pow! illustrations picture books seem to require these days.

Spooky News & Links

On Spookycyn LJ syndication comments: to WriterRoss, I hope you found a deal at the Coldwater Creek sale; to MoniqueMadigan, I'll definitely let y'all know what I think of The Eyre Affair (Penguin, 2001)--it has been sitting while I finished up Archer's Quest by Linda Sue Park (Clarion, 2006)(excerpt); also waving to BeverlyJean in North Texas.