Saturday, July 22, 2006

Less Poetic Reflections, More Reflections on the Poetic

In her ongoing short course, the History of Children's Literature, Lynn Vallone asked our audience about our experiences with poetry as a child and as an adult.

As a child, I was an enthusiastic poet. I banged out draft after draft on a manual typewriter that had been passed down and then later on an electric that was given to me for Christmas by my paternal grandparents. I created my own collections and even designed covers.

I recall one in particular that was made from calico with ribbon trim, reminiscent of a tear dress, which I entered in a district fair. For that, I received a white participation ribbon and an incorrect implication was made that I'd had "help." I suppose that was flattering in a way, but it stung at the time.

Now, I feel more distance from poetry, though it arises in my work now and then. I am a reader of it, though, and have a particular love for the work of Naomi Shihab Nye and Joy Harjo. At this residency, I've been completely wowed by Julie Larios and plan to seek out as much of her work as I can find.