Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Holiday Happenings

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.

Our Christmas Eve, dinner was chopped cucumber and dill over crab salad on pita bread, asparagus-shitake mushroom soup with chicken tamales. Christmas dinner was turkey, green bean casserole, and stuffing. Classic, eh?

On New Year's Eve, we usually go out big. It's my birthday, which is a lot of pressure on one evening. But I felt like taking it easy this year. So, GLS made a shrimp creole over brown rice, and we spent the new year watching various shows, including "Teen Witch," which is still gloriously awful--love it, various episodes of "Northern Exposure", and various episodes of "Bones."

"Bones" is new to me. It stars David Boreanaz of "Buffy" and "Angel" fame and reminds me quite a lot of "The X-Files" without the supernatural angle. Appropriately, the pilot starts with a "Scully-Mulder" joke.

Last week we also had a great lunch with HH, and her husband, N, at Cantina Laredo in Austin's new Second Street District. I was wowed by the Camarones Escondidos.

What else? You can see a photo of our cat Blizzard taken with GLS' new digital camera.

I also have been writing quite steadily on E. I'll be back at it again today, closing in on my--cough--third first draft. Research topics: Marilyn Monroe.

Thanks to all for the holiday cheer, especially KA, GB, RB, NB, AB, TB, JB, Candlewick Press, Dutton Children's Books, RG, MLG, R&LG, HarperCollins Children's Books, Hatchette Book Group (Little, Brown), JFH, Henry Holt Books for Young Readers, FH, AH, GK, JL, DL, MM, NJO, DS-B, TLS, JW, JW, BY, JZ, TVZ.