Thursday, January 13, 2005

Mr. Monk And The New Draft

Okay, it's not Mr. Monk. It's just me, Cyn.

But I'm delighted to report that I have my newly released season two of "Monk" on DVD.

"Monk" is about an obsessive-compulsive, anxiety-ridden detective. It's great for murder mystery and humor fans; top-notch writing and acting.

My Mr. Monk-like attributes: fear of heights, airplans (the air and the height and the enclosed space), germs (carry handwash); also something of a neat freak, which is a challenge because I'm married to a piler. Hence my office is in the house with the door open, and his is over the garage (I shudder to think).

I did some research on the potential new manuscript (some commitment issues, too, eh?) online. What I'm thinking is that I've had great luck in the past combining a couple of vague ideas I've had for a novel into one. Ie., I want to write a grief/healing book, and I want to write a book about a Native girl living in a German American town. Hence, Rain Is Not My Indian Name (HarperCollins, 2001). So, I have these two ideas, and I was researching one of them. Also more scribbling in bed before going to sleep. It's funny how just opening yourself to the universe will give you ideas for your stories.

Feedback from group last night was that if I did the story I had drafted, I should keep the fantasy element I was thinking of cutting and that "my fans will demand" (I liked that so much I had her repeat it) a companion to T. So, I'm pondering that, too.