Saturday, January 29, 2005

Zoning

His Maj and I can be totally silent in the car, completely preoccupied with our respective fictional worlds. We get it. We each understand that the other isn't ignoring us, and that it's work, and that interrupting can lead to justified cranky-ness.

Ditto for interruptions while actually typing, which at least looks like work. In fact, a stray comment or ringing phone at the wrong moment can cause the next word or scene to vanish from one's mind altogether. Hence my intense hostility to phone solicitors.

Today, I got down another four pages, bringing me to 17 -- translating to 4,059 words. All I really need for the first full draft is, oh, ten times that.

Am also starting to get nervous about reactions to the revision. It's been just over a month since I sent it in with the holidays and ALA in between time (plus ALA was in Boston), so I can't imagine much work has gotten done or that there aren't a kagillion manuscripts with release dates before mine or.... Never mind.

Focusing on the manuscript in progress. That is the healthy, prudent, success-making thing to do.