Sunday, January 09, 2005

New Direction, Next Direction

Nothing delights me more than an all-consuming obsession with my work in progress, so it's only natural, I suppose, that being between leaves me feeling somewhat adrift.

This is not to say I'm done with my WIP, but I have no idea how long it will be until I hear back from my editor with additional revisions. Because January through March are the months I traditionally set aside to mostly stop gallavanting around the country and write (in a real and substantial block), it would be insane not to take advantage of this time.

I have a Post-It note on my desk with three titles on it. One would be for a companion book to my upcoming novel (from the POV of a secondary character); I've got three chapters and know the protagonist/universe cold. One would be for a manuscript I have rough drafted and is sitting in a file with revision notes. And the third is for something I have a concept and about two pages of scribbled notes on.

Today, of course, I'm most interested in pursuing the third.

I'll keep you posted.

Writing Tips: (1) any coincidences must be sparing and work against the hero (2) eavesdropping is a lazy way to impart key information to the hero; make him/her earn it in a more original way.