Thursday, December 29, 2005

Chocolates

At the VC res, one of the questions asked of new advisors is whether we want to be reimbursed for printing, mail, etc. I told my students no. My theory was that they're already paying enough, so I just jokingly said that they were welcome to send me chocolates at the end of the semester instead. One of my students, AB, did! Gorgeous, delicious dark chocolates from Vermont (which is not her home state). I was wowed!

In other news, my cousin is here from NYC. We had brunch today at the South Congress Cafe, shopped at Uncommon Objects, hit the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema on South Lamar (best theater in the U.S. for 2005 according to "Entertainment Weekly") to see "Narnia" (my second time, her first). What marks it above the competition, I think, is the pacing and how much the young heroes grow and change. Right now, we're taking a siesta, and then we're off to dinner at Green Pastures.