Saturday, December 17, 2005

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Last night, GLS and I had dinner at Uchi and saw "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" at the Alamo Draft House Cinema on South Lamar (much we like with did with "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" last weekend).

I haven't read the book but found the latest Harry Potter installment an enjoyable film. No one grew or changed except Dumbledore, but the Hogwarts faculty and Hermione were well developed as was the external arc, despite the pacing. I'm assuming that the fantasy elements, like the winged horses, that were extraneous in the film play a role in the books, which tempts me to try reading them again. I'm curious as to where the magic comes from. It's energy, yes? So, what is its price? Though clearly perilous, none of the users seemed tired by invoking it. My only quibble is with the use (in this case overuse) of eavesdropping as a plot device, though perhaps that too can be excused because the invisibility cloak is apparently one of Harry's tools.

In any case, I recommend seeing the movie at the theater because the effects were first rate, though if you're on a budget and must pick between it and "Narnia," by all means, go to "Narnia."

I'm spending the weekend finishing grading my VC students' last packets.