Thursday, February 10, 2005

Lettuce Scares Me

I realized last night, staring into my fridge at the wilty greens, that I often with the best intentions buy lettuce. However, I virtually never eat it. At the same time, I frequently order salads in restaurants, and I adore them. I've had an epiphany. My problem is that literally anything that slithers could be hiding between the leaves of a head of lettuce. At least with a restaurant, I know some cook has sorted through the greens first. I suppose this sounds strange, but it helps me understand how Mr. Monk could fear milk.

Read Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan (Little Brown, 2001), the first of a hardcover mass market middle grade horror series. Has a quote by J.K. Rowling on the front. As a general rule, I'm not so fond of quotes on the front. It seems to suggest the person being quoted is more important than the person who actually wrote the book. That said, would I turn down a quote by J.K. Rowling on a middle grade novel? Um, no! What am I, crazy? More power to you, Darren! Not that that's your real name anyway. Read An Interview With Darren Shan from Time Warner Bookmark.