Saturday, August 19, 2006

Happy Birthday, Greg

Happy birthday to GLS! Tonight we had a hot date at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse at Sixth and Congress--with valet parking and everything.

Perhaps you're thinking, Isn't there a great local steakhouse in Austin? But the one we used to go to closed, and we've already been to Austin Land and Cattle several times.

We split a bottle of the 2004 Acacia pinot noir.

I ordered a crisp wedge of iceberg lettuce on field greens with bleu cheese, followed by a lobster tail with Cajun spices and sauteed mushrooms. Quite lovely, though the lobsters of late in Burlington, Boston, and Cambridge were better. (I can't believe I just had legit occasion to say that; after all, I grew up in a mac-and-cheese household--tossing in hamburger was considered living fancy!).

GLS had the steak house salad, which involved iceberg, Romaine, and baby lettuce with cherry tomatoes, garlic crouton and red onions, followed by a ribeye, a baked potato with all the fixin's (which, so far as I could tell, included sour cream, cheese, and scallions), and creamed spinach.

In non-related but still exciting news, Bookshelves of Doom offers a rousing recommendation of my upcoming YA novel, Tantalize (Candlewick, 2007). She concludes: "I suspect that there will be a pretty serious clamor for a sequel." Thanks so much. I'm honored!