Thursday, October 19, 2006

Bloomin' Onion

This week, I've been grading during the days and writing at night. I've just finished my third packet of round three for the semester.

The Austin SCBWI fall conference is this weekend, and GLS and I are hosting a reception for the speakers here at the house on Friday night. I'm pretty much as ready as I can be. I need to do one more sweep of the floors and rugs tonight. JL arrives with flower arrangements in the morning. Food will be delivered by Central Market at 5:30 p.m. BC is getting her a little early with TS to set up his signing. We're expecting 35 guests.

What else? On Tuesday night, GLS took me to Threadgill's (bronzed catfish with black beans and green bean casserole) to celebrate the slating of Tantalize for publication by Walker U.K. in October 2008. We tried hard to find an English restaurant in Austin and didn't have much luck. So, if anyone can suggest one, please do.

The evening before we tried the Outback Steakhouse (on S. Lamar) for the first time ever. My grandma Dorothy had been a huge fan of the place, and for some reason that Spike quote about the flowering onion appetizer kept recurring in my head. We sat in a big booth, just the two of us. It was big enough for six. I had the onion, which was fantastic (spicy), broccoli cheese soup (ick, watery) and some shrimp (buttery). I don't know that I'll be back, but I'm glad I tried it. Maybe I'll just go back for the onion.

E is moving along. This is one of the toughest weeks for writing time, but I've been able to get a few scenes down. I've also had to take a few short breaks to research: names of the Pink Ladies from "Grease;" Al Capone; a CTA map, and Rice University.