Monday, March 07, 2005

Scribbles In The Margin

Sounds like an interesting book on editing, doesn't it? It should. I'm inspired by my recent comments from TC. This is the first time I've had him read an entire mss for me, and I'm just blown away by his ability to juggle the trees and forest simultaneously. (Yes, I realize that's an odd visual image).

Very attentive line edits, and I'd just spent most of the afternoon re-reading, too. Missed all but a couple of them. Some of what he mentioned existed in past drafts, which means I'm going to take care of them with quick nods. A couple of points were things I'd already fixed since giving him the mss to read. And then there's the question/praise aspect of the margins.

Some highlights: "excellent first words for the reader;" "great first paragraph to draw reader in and set up story;" "excellent setting of tone;" "this was a little awkward for me;" "gives idea credibility in the readers' mind; now it all seems possible;" "great character development;" "good word choice;" "chilling!;" "part of me wonders why she still wants him after he...;" "this rings true; I remember attending a child's funeral where...;" "nice touch;" "this is really good; I'd like to get this woven into a scene where we see it again;" "the other students still react this way--after so long ago?;" "I don't think school administration would be so quick to suggest...;" "while I like this, it might be better without it;" "had he noticed earlier something might be between...?;" "this is a surprise;" "excellent;" "another strong [chapter] ending;" "though startled at first, she doesn't seem too overwhelmed...;" "boys will be boys;" "seems like she would know something about this many....;" "this doesn't sounds like...; oh I see; impressive!;" "sounds like a younger character;" "nice twist;" "yes, it all makes sense;" "doesn't seem to fit;" "how does Q feel about...?;" "makes sense;" "how does she know this?"

Thanks, TC! You rule!