Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Slow And Steady...

I would hate to write a novel fast. I mean, sure, there would be that euphoria, but to me, the appeal of the novel is in the revelations along the way. And, for what it's worth, I seem to like my euphoria in stingy, little spurts. That said, I'll be four, five years between my last book and my next.* But the writer I was then and the writer I am now are different. Not just in subject matter and approach but also psychologically. If I hadn't taken time to stop and think and try new things in a non-sales-oriented way, that never would've happened.

On the front lines, I received an e from SP--my last new prepub reader--who said he'd start on T this afternoon. I'm hugely grateful as he's whip smart, a fan of the genre, and will be able to apply that brill mind and insider's eye.

*though four short stories will have found their way into the world via various anthologies, and G has published two novels of his own.