Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Holiday Crit Group

Last night GLS and I hosted crit group. I made dinner (which means I took my credit card to Whole Foods). We had smoked salmon, smoked cheese, and sesame crackers, followed by cranberry, red onion, goat cheese salad with walnuts, followed by shrimp and green beans, followed by fresh berries and/or peanut butter pie. AB and SP brought wine. We served on our Santa Baby plates from Pottery Barn with napkins that read, "Santa, I can explain..."

My new scene of F&M (which SP suggested I change to M&F) was enthusiastically received. SP also pointed out that I should make DD flatter early on. I haven't combed back through my scribbles yet, but I'll do that later today.

December meeting will be at TC's in the country.

I spent most of the morning and early afternoon packaging up holiday presents. I do send to my editors and agent--nothing big, but as a show of appreciation. Overall, though, I'm trying to cut back a little this year because I've been known to go crazy with the whole thing.

Big picture, I'm trying to get done what I can while taking reasonable care of myself. I think I might actually be clinically exhausted.

My vacation that was supposed to be in August 04 was pushed back after Dad died. My vacation that was supposed to be in August 05 was pushed back when I took the job at VC. My vacation that was supposed to be in two weeks has been postponed to February 06 because I thought the 19th meant the end of the semester for student deadlines, not for everything.

So, it's been five years since I've had more than one day off in a row, and I'm really feeling it. Looking at the calendar, though, not much rest ahead for the wicked or weary.

My mood is fairly upbeat, but I'm deeply achy and a bit teary now and then. Anybody who thinks writers sit around eating bon bons and scribbling in journals has never actually been one.