Friday, February 17, 2006

Alternating POV

I'm back in the saddle--literally, one of my co-protagonists is riding along... I have co-protagonists! I blame/credit GLS for his influence as Ninjas, Piranhas, and Galileo (Little Brown, 2003, 2005) and Tofu and T. rex (Little Brown, 2005) are both alternating point of view novels.

It's harder than it looks. First, you have to find two sufficiently compelling voices. Then you have to keep their perspectives straight and plots interwoven in a mutual crescendo kind of way. Hm, that sounded sexier than the mss seems to be (so far), but you know what I mean.

Whenever I have a break, I have to re-read the entire mss to get back into it again. I spent much of the afternoon doing that and hope to draft a new scene tonight.

Thanks to AS for her lovely e-card; check out her new picture book, Mocking Birdies (Simply Read, 2005).