Thursday, February 09, 2006

Suffering Soccotash!

Zoomed out this morning to BookPeople to shop for birthday and Valentine's gifts and cards. Then I was treated to lunch by KD at Thai Tara on 6th. I enjoyed my shrimp spring roll and my chicken satay with peanut sauce (four hearty servings--order to split), but next time I would sit outside on the deck, weather permitting.

After lunch I picked up a box of 400 individual packets of Splenda at Randall's on Exposition.

So, I'm in the sweetner section, and this motion-detector device begins lecturing me in the voice of Sylvester the cat to buy the pink stuff instead. I was appalled. I find the trend toward more and more in-store advertising at groceries vaguely vexing (point of purchase coupons, ads on the floor, etc.), but this was like being berated by a salescat (and you know I'm cat friendly) simply for walking by. I'm trying to imagine the cacophony of noise if product "spokesman" were pitching on five or six products on the aisle. Sigh.

My crit group meets tonight at my house. GLS and I are serving what my family calls "Mulligan stew," which is made from 2 cans of tomato sauce, 2 cans of tomato paste, 1 can of Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable Soup, and ground turkey over whole wheat linguine. (My family uses hamburger and regular pasta). Can't wait to hear what the group thinks of my tall tale revision!

Happy birthday to KZ on Vashon Island in Seattle!