Monday, June 05, 2006

Republic of Texas Biker Rally

This past weekend was the Republic of Texas Biker Rally in Austin. Think 4,000+ bikes converging on downtown for three roaring days.

Rumor has it that the event is the biggest income-earner of its kind for the city. Leather goods?

In any case, the streets are literally lined and swarming with bikes, bikers, and biker chicks. Sixth and Congress were closed off Friday evening for the parade, making it impossible for non-bike driving. On our way home from San Antonio, we had to get back on I-35 north and go to the other side of the Cap building before we could successfully cut back over to the west side. In East Austin, people were lined up on the streets, cheering the bikers on.

I don't notice the noise here at the house like I did when we had the apartment on Congress. Back then, I just resigned myself to a couple of days without sleep.

Next weekend is the Texas Pride Festival, celebrating the GLBTQ community, in Waterloo Park.

I love this town!