Monday, October 04, 2004

The Old Willis Place

Lately I'm reading The Old Willis Place by Mary Downing Hahn (Houghton, 2004). It's a contemporary ghost story with a nostalgic feel to the prose, which includes a couple of young ghosts/wild children (not sure yet) who steal books. Interesting. More interesting because I can't find my book now. I'd swear I left it on the night stand. I suspect it was stolen by my ghost!

If I can find the book, I'd love to finish it.

Hahn is the author of one of my faves:

Look For Me By Moonlight by Mary Downing Hahn (Clarion, 1995). Cynda's fight with her mother and new stepfather over moving to Italy results in Cynda being shipped off to live with her father, pregnant stepmother, and five-year-old half brother at their historic inn in Maine. Cynda, 16, is fascinated first by rumors that the inn is haunted and then by Will, the grandson of the cleaning woman. But then appears a guest, Vincent -- an older, sophisticated, and attentive man who seems to be the only one who really understands the displacement Cynda is feeling in her family life. Apparent sympathy grows into apparent romance, but it quickly turns more bitter than sweet. Ages 12-up.

Recovering today from newly inserted stitches. I feel like a skin corset. Ew. Saw a lady at the dermatologist/plastic surgeon who had lips like a rafting tube. Also ew.

New favorite song: "1985" by Bowling for Soup. Yes, I'm ancient.