Sunday, October 31, 2004

Resting In Peace

The manuscript is peacefully resting for now anyway. I know it sounds theatrically inprobable that I'd finish this revision sufficient to let it sit on Halloween, but what can I say?

The printer is churning out pages as I type. So, it's technically not resting yet, but definitely on its way.

Right now, I feel good about it. For those paying attention to the count, it now stands at 42,956; author's note 681. I haven't looked again at DW's letter. I want to wait to do that until after I've picked it up after the rest to read again. But I think I've accomplished my goals. There may be something I'm missing at this point though as of late I've gone over it so much that I can no longer see the story clearly.

That's the benefit of setting it aside, regaining that clarity.

It can be hard though. I just cheated by sneaking back into the file to add a clarification line about VPH's activities at the school. Sometimes it's difficult to write, and sometimes it's difficult to tear yourself away.

For now, I have a class to teach, speeches to prepare, a holiday to get through. Tomorrow, I'm starting From Romance To Realism: 50 Years of Growth and Change in Young Adult Literature by Michael Cart (Harper, 1996).

Tonight, Halloween!