Thursday, September 15, 2005

Dedications

VC MFA packets came today, and I did my fourth semester student first. I plan to write the letter in the a.m., but the notes are all there.

Was reading DT's blog about dedications.

I dedicated Jingle Dancer (Morrow/Harper, 2000) to my great-aunt Anne. She's a great lady unto herself and in many ways stepped in for my Grandpa Ray, who died the year I was born, before I was born. They grew up together at the Indian school, and she was able to tell me about him as a child. Anyway, I love her, and it was the right first person.

Rain Is Not My Indian Name (HarperCollins, 2001) was dedicated to my cousin Liz (Cousin Liz in Jingle Dancer is named after her). She's a filmmaker and a teacher, raised in Oklahoma and Texas but making it in NYC and I'm so proud of her. Also the good decision.

Indian Shoes (HarperCollins, 2002) was dedicated to my grandparents, living and dead, biological and step. Because it's a collection of grandparent/grandchild stories, that felt true.

As for the next two under contract, I already know, but I'm not ready to share yet. No big surprises, I suspect, except maybe that authors/illustrators put far more thought into such things than most people would imagine.

Spooky Links

Thanks to HB for her congrats on my HWA full-member status! Thanks to LZ and DMF for their comments (I'm not sure I am getting your e's DMF?!), and, yes, to all who've wondered, I do read my LJ syndication comments, though not every day, and appreciate them all!