Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Computer Lab Is Air Conditioned

Did I mention that I got to see AN last night? She is the cutest, funniest person. I just adore her. She's a VC alumnae and showed up at the end-of-day informal faculty gathering in the lounge.

MA spoke on non-fiction today (did you know he has a Ph.D. in history?) and RWG on social consciousness and voice. I need to make more of an effort to read YA lit trade non-fic. Appreciated R's reading from No Laughter Here (HarperCollins, 2003). RB's name keeps coming up because so many of us here are edited by her.

I also sat in on DE's graduating student lecture on writing from outside your culture. It was informative and enjoyable, especially the grandbaby picture. It got me thinking about folks who've talked to me over the years about writing crossculturally. Many seemed to be looking for information, permission, protection, or absolution. Hm.

More personally, rumor has it that T is sitting at the foot of my CW editor's chair. I hope this means that she loves it so much that she wants it close and handy to delight in.

Spooky Links

Is Giant Rattler in W. Va. Real or Rumor? by Vicki Smith from Netscape News.

Mexican Myth or Texas Terror? by Holly Fenner from Netscape Fun & Games.