Thursday, July 28, 2005

Erupting Eardrums

Had big fun with KA, staying overnight at the Doubletree Hotel in Burlington (highly recommended; the restaurant is even good) before flying out yesterday morning.

Found out the hard way during descent from Cincinnati to Austin that flying with fluid in the ear results in the kind of pain one might associate with being stabbed in said ear with a roasting skewer. The flight attendant gave me a Styrofoam cup filled with hot, wet paper towels. I'm not sure that helped, but it gave me something to do and made me feel less helpless.

On the other hand, the attendant also said, "Don't worry. If it just really started hurting, I'm sure your eardrum won't erupt."

As if I'd previously considered the possibility my ear could go volcanic!

Thing is, I do remember thinking that maybe I should take a decongestant, but discounted it on the theory that it was more important to take Dramamine. I'm doing to ask my doc today if both can be taken together.

Yes, I feel wimpy of late. I absolutely detest being sick.

I got in about 3:30 p.m. G picked me up at the airport, tucked me into bed until 9 p.m. or so, and then fed me homemade chicken soup. By then, I could hear normally again, though the air was still popping in my left ear. After 10 days in the dorm, my house seems huge, opulent, the kitties fascinating (not that they aren't always), and MVCH ("my very cute husband") divine.

Spooky Links

Tips to avoid ear pain in the air from about.com.