Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Last Day at VC

Last night's reading of my short story from Boy Meets Girl, Girl Meets Boy (Roaring Brook, TBA) went well, I thought, especially given that I was editing on the sly to fit into the time slot. I poured sheer force of will into my voice (not to mention a couple of cups of hot, herbal tea), and it worked.

It occured to me afterward that only a few of the faculty members read works in progress. Most read already published work. No big, but a different psychology to be sure.

Today is my last for this residency at VC. Last workshop. Last lecture. Graduation.

Overall, it's been a tremendous experience. I've enjoyed getting to know the faculty and students, seen aspects of children's/YA lit anew--laughed, cried, grew (you know the drill).

I'll spend tonight in Burlington with KA and maybe RWG. Then Wednesday a.m., I'm Texas bound.

Spooky News and Links

How out of touch am I? Just heard that our man Lance had wrapped up his 7th Tour de France win. Wahoo from Vermont! Filled here with Austinite pride (and, okay, a little homesicknesses).

Vampires stalk Taylor, courtesy of 'The Insatiable' by Julien Devereux from the Taylor (TX) Daily Press. Thanks to TC for this link!