Sunday, July 10, 2005

Gruene (That's Pronounced "Green" for Y'all Non-Germans)

Yesterday, G took me to Gruene, Texas, which is a historically German, honkytonk-and-antiques town about an hour south on I-35. We had lunch and shopped without really buying anything though I was tempted by some 1930s jewelry and a Japanese punch bowl with matching cups.

I did, however, pick up a book Texas Cemeteries by Bill Harvey (U of Texas Press, 2003) from Texectera, a small regional indie bookstore that's going under in a couple of months.

Tried to watch "Napolean Dynamite" on the recommendation of several people and couldn't get past the part where the farmer shoots the cow. It just wasn't funny to me. Maybe if you watch the whole thing, there are some long-building jokes, but I just didn't care enough to find out.

I ended up watching "Back To School" instead. I don't really find Rodney Dangerfield's humor funny (more groaners), but something about him was charming.

Spooky Links

Once Upon A Time (She Said) (NESFA Press, 2005): What am I? The font of all information? See Jane Yolen's site for details (painting by Ruth Sanderson, one of my former houseguests, by the way).

AB sent me a newspaper article about The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (Little Brown, 2005), which offers new blood for all us Drac fans.