Saturday, July 16, 2005

New England

I'm here in Vermont! At the computer lab to be precise, and it's blessedly air conditioned (though really it's not hot here. People in these parts seem to think that 88 degrees is hot).

My flights from Austin to Cincinnati and Cincinnati to Burlington both were fairly interesting.

On the first flight I sat beside this young couple in their 20s who'd met in the terminal right before the flight. She was a college student in business and he was in some branch of the armed service (didn't catch which one), and I pretended to read a paperback romance while eavesdropping on them flirting. (Hey! I'm a writer. It's part of my job to eavesdrop).

Then on the next flight, I sat beside a returning Army soldier (Hi, George!), who was bringing a stuffed bear dressed in Army fatiques home for his seven year old son. George had been flying from the Middle East for about the last 24 hours straight, so he was pretty dazed but also really excited to see his girlfriend and family.

The lovely TLS picked me up from airport and introduced me to all the sights, sounds, and celebrities (I was wowed!) of Burlington. It's a charming city with a first-rate Thai restaurant.

I'm now on campus. I've unpacked, made my bed, and had a KA custom tour with helpful and informative commentary. Faculty dinner tonight!

P.S. Events on my mind include KW.