Thursday, March 09, 2006

Juggling Hats

I timed myself at 13 minutes, not including the very short readings, for my AWP speech, so I'm feeling pretty comfortable with that. (We're supposed to keep it under 20 but preferably about 15). I also decided to mention the Norton Anthology of Children's Literature for those seeking more information. KA graciously offered to put together the visuals and bibliography, so we should be all set. GLS and I have a date to practice tonight. I need to remember to make 10 copies.

I was going to wait until after grading packets to start in on character work, but I'm just going to go ahead. I can grade in the days and work on the novel at night. I pulled four character craft books to glance through first, just hoping they'll gear my brain in that direction. These were the ones I found on the shelf: Creating Character Emotions by Ann Hood (Story Press, 1998); Creating Characters Kids Will Love by Elaine Marie Alphin (Writer's Digest, 2000); Dynamic Characters by Nancy Kress (Writer's Digest, 1998); The Writer's Guide to Character Traits by Linda N. Edelstein (Writer's Digest, 1999). LOL! You'd never guess I quit my day job in 1998, eh?

Sending cheers to PM!