Friday, March 03, 2006

Research Fiend

One major research area is done for now. I also have a document, sort of a "world guide," that's divided into: characters; mythology; setting; and timelines. It's about 18 pages, some of which are blank, and includes a cast roster and to-do list. I had tons of related books, but two were infinitely more useful than the rest. I've got about 3,400 words of notes, just getting started. Feeling some eagerness to get through this part so I can do some character work, but all in good time (and no doubt a break for grading packets in between).

Thanks to HB for her get-well wishes; and yes, I did look quite cute in my eye patch (I'm 100% better know; the eye really does heal quickly). Thanks also to LZ for mentioning From Romance to Realism: 50 Years of Growth and Change in Young Adult Literature by Michael Cart (HarperCollins, 1996), which I agree is outstanding.

Sending out thank yous to a few folks who've been above-and-beyond supportive this past week or so: GLS (author interview), EH (author interview) at SCBWI-Houston, and KA (author interview) at Kerbey Lane Cafe.