Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Riding the Waves

Hurrah to the driver of the compact turquoise car covered with 3-D sea creatures headed south on Lamar at 5 p.m. yesterday! Thanks for keeping Austin weird!

GLS made a particularly yummy dinner last night--a tomatillo-based gaspacho with shirmp. We also served sliced Fuji apples with low-fat Vermont cheddar and sliced smoked salmon. AB was our guest, and it was lovely to see her.

After I work out, I still need to key in various points of information from my mss to my world guide. Then I'll switch to AWP prep. I'm making a decision to skew from more of a focus on the history of YA to what it is today and just refer the audience to additional reading. That's more my area of expertise anyway, though I'll give the history a contextual nod to start off. I'm also planning to briefly read from my first novel, Rain Is Not My Indian Name (HarperCollins, 2001)(10-up), Moccasin Thunder: American Indian Stories for Today edited by Lori M. Carlson (HarperCollins, 2005)(12-up)(editor interview), and My Road Trip to the Pretty Girl Capital of the World by Brian Yansky (Cricket, 2003)(14-up) as examples of YAs at the different age subcategories.

Sending cheers to DHA!