Thursday, August 18, 2005

Happy Birthday to Greg!

I'm pleased to report that my very cute husband GLS is 38 years old today! Surf over to his blog and wish him the best. Congrats to him also on the brisk paperback sales of Ninjas, Piranhas, and Galileo (Little Brown, 2005)!

I arrived home yesterday from Kansas City after visting with family and friends and speaking at a meeting of Kansas SCBWI. Highlights included my cousin SC and I taking Grandma D to high tea at the Fairmont, meeting my new cousin Autumn Lynn at Aunt Gail's, and lunching with Aunt Linda and Grandma M at Le Peep while looking at baby pictures of my other new cousin, Kaitlin Rose.

Grandma D, by the way, was the grandma featured in my short story, "The Naked Truth," which appeared in In My Grandmother's House: Award Winning Authors Tell Stories About Their Grandmothers, illustrated and edited by Bonnie Christensen (HarperCollins, 2003). I had the pleasure of visting Bonnie's apartment and meeting her charming daughter when I was in Burlington last month with the lovely TLS.

Anyway, the KC trip was sweet and bittersweet as August 13 also was the first anniversary of my father's death. I went with my mother to see the stone for the first time, and it's beautiful. A turquoise granite, the design includes their wedding date, "loving parents of Cynthia," an Air Force insignia on his side, and her tribal affiliations.

All in all, the trip was a wonderful one, but as always, I'm glad to be home.